Thursday, July 2, 2009

Quick! Throw the Life Anvil!

There are many pieces of useless information gained through the years that have become firmly stuck in my mind. Keeping them company are an equal number of ridiculous images & scenes that I’ve conjured up for some reason or another and have never been able to let go.

One of these images is of a man who falls out of a boat and begins yelling for help as he struggles to stay afloat. His friends, seeing his peril, attempt to save him, but instead of throwing him a life preserver, they instead throw him a blacksmith’s anvil painted bright orange – the “life anvil”.

I know, it’s silly. Don’t ask me why that image would be stuck in my head; some things can’t be explained.

I couldn’t help but be reminded of it, however, when I saw the following news story: Feds could seize Calif. parks if closed by budget

Isn’t that nice. California’s in a world of hurt financially right now; you’d think that the Federal government might try to offer some sort of assistance, or at the very least, follow the old credo “first, do no harm”.

Nope.

It certainly sheds new light on these words:
"You never want a serious crisis to go to waste" - Rahm Emanuel
"Never waste a good crisis" - Hillary Clinton

Not to be outdone, our benevolent banks – fresh off of being saved by the American taxpayer – are now showing their gratitude to the hands that pulled them back into the boat: Bank Fees Rise as Lenders Try to Offset Losses

Did we really expect anything different? And you know what the worst thing is? There’s nothing we can do about it.

Don’t think so? Go ahead. Try to live your life – the life you are accustomed to living – without a bank. My guess is you can’t. Neither can I.

I have a new image in my head now: I’m standing on a boat looking at a man struggling in the water. He’s wearing a suit that cost more than my car. His hand is stretched out to me; he’s begging me for help.

I look down in the boat and see something. It’s painted bright orange, and it’s really heavy.

I fear it's going to be very difficult to get that picture out of my mind.

No comments: