Friday, June 7, 2013

Blaine's Top 10 Books - Day 5


Shōgun, James Clavell

Desert island time.  My one food?  Cheesecake and original Gardetto’s  (Yeah, yeah, yeah.  I know that’s two, but it’s my island.  Sue me.)  My one book?  Shōgun.

Shōgun is just simply my all-time #1 favorite book.  I’ve read it four times – I don’t read anything four times – and I fully plan on reading it once or twice more before I die if things work out that way.

Why?  It has just about everything you could possibly want in a story:  Kings & peasants, soldiers & priests.  True love, impossible beauty, sex, hope, and heartbreak.  Unbelievable bravery, incredible deceit.  Planning, scheming, warring, building, destroying, & backstabbing.  Interesting characters, an exotic location, and a mesmerizing time period all set within one of the most fascinating cultures on the planet.

Whenever I read this book, I walk around for days afterward in what I can only describe as a literary hangover.  The beauty and violence keep spinning around my head in a delicate ballet.  Samurai swords continue their lethal flashing.  And Mariko won’t let me go.

Is it great fiction?  I don’t know.  Is it historically accurate?  I don’t care.  When you love something, facts don’t really matter.

No comments: