Wednesday, January 9, 2008

What So Proudly We Hailed - (Part 1)

Self promotion is very difficult for me to do. I have never felt comfortable “championing” myself. I’ve always relied on letting my work speak for itself. I’d like to do that also with my soon to be published novel, “What So Proudly We Hailed”, and I think that if people read it, it will speak for itself. The problem is that with somewhere around 200,000 new books being published every single year, it’s difficult to get anyone’s attention, and if nobody reads it, no one will ever know.

It’s funny, people will gladly spend $5 on a birthday card that will be thrown in the trash seconds after it’s receipt, but the thought of spending $15 for an entire book suddenly makes everyone hold their wallets tightly to their chest.

At the beginning of December, I did something that was rather unprecedented; I gave away copies of my last book “Finding Liberty” for free – including shipping – to the first 50 people who requested it. The only thing I asked for in return was that they would write a review of the book – good or bad – on amazon.com. To date, only 3 of the 50 have done that.

I know that it’s only been a little over a month, and with the Christmas holidays I realize that most people have probably just forgotten about it (and who knows? some of them might have hated the book and just not wanted to hurt my feelings by posting a bad review), but you can see the problem that it poses for an unknown author and a small-time publisher. How do you create a buzz about something in a world filled with so much noise?

So at the risk of sounding self promoting, I’m going to be writing some posts over the next few weeks (months?) about “What So Proudly We Hailed”, in the hopes of creating a buzz. I would ask for your help in this; come back often to learn a little more about the book as I lay it out to see if it is something that interests you, and if you can, tell your friends to take a look as well. I can promise you this: whether you like it or hate it, whether it moves you or offends you, you will never look at the world the same way again. It’s not just a story; it’s an important story, and as self-serving as this is going to sound, it’s a story that I think everyone needs to read.

Where to begin, then? Well, I’ll start by simply sharing the words on the back cover of the book. If it sounds intriguing to you, stop back by tomorrow and in the days to come and I’ll fill you in more about the story itself, relate some “behind the scenes” information about the writing of it, and give some real-world examples of how things that are depicted in this fantastically paranoid future are already happening right now.


Back cover text for “What So Proudly We Hailed”:

A storm is coming . . .

The year is 2027. The United States has changed.

Little by little, over the years – out of their own selfishness, apathy, and fear – the American people have given away all of the hard-fought freedoms that had been paid for in blood as if they were worthless trinkets, and in doing so have allowed themselves to be willingly lulled into a state of total dependence.

The government that was once the benevolent servant of the people has now become its ruthless master, and in “the best interests of all”, it has relieved the “burden” of choice from the backs of all Americans. The government now makes your decisions for you – on your behalf – and you have no alternative but to accept. It is a world of thinly veiled slavery, and the time is fast approaching when the “thin veil” will no longer even be necessary.

One man alone rises from the ashes of everything that once was and is given a chance to stop what will be; to turn back the clock and restore liberty to its rightful owners. But the price in blood that must now be paid for that freedom has climbed to horrific proportions.

Journey into the nightmare of the future – one possible future – and see for yourself how easily it could happen. Freedom has never been free, but can it ever cost too much?

3 comments:

Just Melody said...

oooh! Ok I'm hooked. :)

Can't wait to read more.

Blessings to you and the family

Unknown said...

I, for one, and greatly looking forward to getting my hands on this book. Just from reading the articles on this subject that you wrote for MIHM and the "Finding Liberty" book, I know we think along the same lines in many of these matters.

Anonymous said...

You are a wonderful author with important things to say-(that people need to read because we NEED to be thinking about these things!) When I read your book Finding Liberty I wanted to get a copy for everyone I know (in place of birthday cards is not a bad idea) I believe time will tell- word WILL get out and your work will be recognized,. Looking forward to the next book! Meldoy Joy